JP Salas oversees the firm’s day-to-day operations and leads the firm’s Insurance Litigation Practice. JP’s practice ranges from traditional insurance coverage issues and property damage claims to complex business litigation and employment law. JP has been recognized by his peers as a Florida Super Lawyer “Rising Star” in 2017, 2018 and 2019 and has an AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
An accomplished litigator and strong advocate for his clients’ interests, JP has successfully represented a diverse clientele in Florida’s state and federal courts. JP has built a solid reputation for creating successful litigation strategies with the goal of achieving optimal results both in the courtroom and at the negotiating table.
JP Salas’ Representative Experience
- Representation of major cruise line in connection with the largest oil spill in U.S. history, resulting in a significant claim payment from the Gulf Coast Claims Facility.
- Representation of major cruise lines in federal and state court in numerous cases involving the enforceability of arbitration agreements in seaman employment contracts and collective bargaining agreements.
- Representation of former employee of one of the world’s largest producers of computer software in a lawsuit involving violations of Florida’s Whistleblower Protection Act.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a site subcontractor in a lawsuit against the prime contractor and its surety.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a shell subcontractor in a lawsuit against the prime contractor and its surety.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of an electrical subcontractor in a lawsuit against the prime contractor and its surety.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a general contractor in lawsuit to foreclose on a claim of lien.
- Represented design firm, and interior designer and a draftsman in a lawsuit involving two separate construction projects against an owner and a general contractor. Assisted as second chair trial counsel during a four-day jury trial in which the design firm and its owner prevailed on the significant issues resulting in an award of attorney’s fees and costs. The case was settled post-judgement.
- Represented prime contractor and assisted as second chair trial counsel in litigation against various developer entities involving scheduling impacts, breach of contract, and breach of the implied covenants of good faith and fair dealing. After a three-week jury trial, the jury awarded the prime contractor the majority of its claimed contract balances resulting in award of attorney’s fees and costs. The case was settled post-judgment.
- Statewide representation of hundreds of residential and commercial policyholders, recovering millions of dollars in unpaid insurance benefits on behalf of property owners whose claims were either underpaid, unreasonably delayed or wrongfully denied.
- Drafted, reviewed and negotiated various construction contracts and sub-contracts on behalf of owners, developers, contractors and specialty sub-contractors.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of a real estate investor in connection with the investors various claims against a Condominium Association and Condominium Board.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a real estate investor in a lawsuit seeking specific performance related to the sale and purchase of a residential multi-family building.
- Represented design professionals and contractors before the Florida Board of Architecture and Design and before the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
- Implicit Bias in the Courtroom: Don’t Ignore It and Hope for the Best. Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Conference, September 2015.
JP Salas attended:
- Florida State University College of Law (J.D., 2008)
- Notes & Comment Editor, Florida State University Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law
- Vice-President Spanish American Law Student Association (S.A.L.S.A)
- Legal Intern – Florida Department of Financial Service/Office of Insurance Regulation.
- University of Florida (Bachelors of Science, Business Administration, Major: Finance)
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- 2017 – 2019 Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Stars
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent 2019
- Born in Coral Gables, Florida
- Fluent in Spanish
- JP Salas lives in Fort Lauderdale with his wife Lauren and two daughters, Madelyn and Sophia.